Get A Fresh Summer Look: 4 Body Areas That Need Your Attention This SummerJanuary 23, 2015
What’s the shortest way to a fresh summer look? This summer, follow our blog posts for a #SummerFresh season (and by the way, have you seen our Facebook hashtag?).
Today we’re talking about the 4 areas of your body that need your attention during the hot season and especially for the Australia Day long weekend. Follow our tips & tricks on how to stay healthy, happy, and fresh.
In summertime your face needs intensive care. You’d think your skin suffers more in the cold winter days, right? It is not the case. You sweat more in summer; sweat combined with dust shuts your pores, which can cause acne, rashes, or unpleasant spots.
But what’s a #SummerFresh look without a natural appearance and smiling expression?
To achieve a fresh look and glowy skin, avoid using concealers and use a mineral foundation or a tinted moisturiser with SPF this season. A good one we can recommend is the SkinFit Tinted Moisturiser, or you’re into foundations, the Jane Iredale PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation is great one. However, don’t forget to clean your face at least twice a day and moisturise your skin. If you have oily skin, avoid moisturisers and instead apply a solution that fights sebum but keeps your skin hydrated. (Find example)
We’ve mentioned before that you should avoid applying heavy foundation on those hot summer days. Not only is it unaesthetic (imagine your face covered in foundation at 30+°C with no wind to dry sweat off), it is also very unhealthy for your skin.
But us women, we don’t feel very comfortable not wearing makeup. So we get why you’re a bit alarmed now that we’ve put a ‘No-no’ label on your favourite foundation.
But don’t worry. Luckily for us, there are extra makeup tips that are great for summer:
- For example, replace eye makeup with lip makeup.
- You favourite shade of fuchsia, only in brighter tones, on your lips.
- Use light lip gloss for a fresh look.
- Replace black eyeliner with a summerish eye powder that doesn’t leak: blue, orange, and yellow are in tune with the season.
Try to avoid powders for as much as possible. Highlight your cheekbones with a cream in soft pink instead of powdered blush – trust us, you’ll be thankful for this tip when you get out in the heat.
Bad hair day? Better say bad hair season! The summer season is great, except for your summer… hair. The beach is windy, the city center is hot. Sometimes, even if you washed your hair in the morning it gets all sticky and lifeless by noon.
Be honest… how many times did you want to call in sick this week just because you couldn’t get your hair right?
We get you. But again, you’re luckier than you think. This summer the natural look is all in. So you can just wash your hair and apply a texturizing spray that contains salt; no need to blow dry it, just go out in the sun and Mother Nature will do it for you. Or, if your hair refuses to be ‘tamed’ with salt spray, use the traditional ponytail. Here are some examples of how great ponytails can get.
When heading to the beach use a scarf; they’re fashionable and keep your hair in place even on windy days. And by the way, beach waves coiffure is great for the workplace too. Just make sure your hair doesn’t get oily before the day is over: use products that eliminate frizz and flyaways; buy products that keep your hair straight in high humidity environments; invest in products that can prevent greasy or oily hair.
Nails are always on the list of “most ignored in summer”. You don’t have to spend a lot of time taking care of your nails, but here are some useful guidelines:
- Stay away from dark colours
- Natural shades or lively colours? Big YES! goes to hot pinks, bright yellows, nudes, whites, discreet pinks, corals, and oh-so-many-other-lively-colours
- If you don’t have time for nail lacquers, then a transparent nail polish will do as long as your cuticles are clean and your nails have a nice looking shape
Now it’s your turn:
- What do you love most about your body in summer time?
- What is your number one tip to fight the summer heat and stay fresh? (staying hydrated, applying SPF cream, getting tanned, wearing scarfs, treating yourself with a cool ice cream, wearing a water spray to cool off)
- Pick one product from the ones that are NOW in your purse and tell us why you love it and how it helps you to stay fresh during the summer season (it can be as simple as a water spray or a deodorant)