Myth: All Facial Peels Are ‘Evil’July 5, 2014
This week. we have been playing Mythbusters on many common cosmetic myths. Today we talk to our clinician Abbie to find out the truth behind Facial Peels (also referred to as ‘chemical peels‘). Abbie has heard many myths during her time here at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia – and it is due to these false perceptions that certain people are put off by the idea of having a facial peel – despite the wonderful benefits.
Here’s what Abbie had to say…
Perception is that all peels:
- Have a lot of down time
- Leave you looking like you’ve had your face dragged across the gravel [i.e. all red and inflamed]
- Damage the skin
- Make your skin so sensitive that you won’t be able to go in the sun again
- Are toxic
- Yes, there are peels that involve several weeks downtime. However there are many peels that gently exfoliate the skin – it’s more like an active solution rather than a toxic concoction
- Downtime is variable, depending on the type of peel – the peels used here at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia may cause you to experience dry, flaky skin for 1-5 days, but this can be covered with make-up and is usually not that noticeable
- Many of the ingredients in the peels we use actually build and strengthen the skin.
- With any treatment we do advise that you are sun-smart when in direct sunlight – but this should be your general practice anyway!
- All the ingredients are using either naturally occurring ingredients or are scientifically modified – but have been proven to be safe and are not toxic.
- Aspect Doctor Lacto-Peel [lactic acid] – a good general all-rounder
- Aspect Doctor Jungle Brew [salicylic] – great for sufferers of acne
- Aspect Doctor Pigment Punch: good for people with hyper-pigmentation
- Cosmedix: Benefit Peel [Vitamin A & C] – great for anti-ageing