Your perfect guide to skin tightening with ultrasoundSeptember 26, 2016
As we age we lose volume in our face, primarily fat and collagen. As a result creases, wrinkles and a lack of firmness begin to appear. Skin tightening procedures have become very popular in recent years to address these issues and provide a nonsurgical alternative to more invasive procedures for correcting skin laxity and improving skin quality.
This technology is revolutionising skin strengthening for the face, abdomen, upper legs and upper arms and there are significant results for cellulite removal and tightening of the abdomen area post pregnancy.
The treatment is non-invasive and uses focussed ultrasound energy at specific and precise depths, to instantly contract existing collagen fibres and promote long term stimulation of new and stronger collagen production.
What does it do?
In a single session it:
- Lifts and tightens sagging skin.
- Improves elasticity to firm skin.
- Slims down facial and body contours.
- It restores skin back to its strength of a younger skin.
How does it work?
Skin tightening with ultrasound targets deep structural skin fibres with focussed Ultrasound technology. This in turn stimulates collagen growth. As we age, collagen loses its elasticity and its ability to hold the facial skin structure as it did in younger years. This process can therefore be looked upon as a boost in reversing the effects of ageing and help strengthen the skin structure again. With repeated treatments it is now possible to slow down the ageing process.
Focussed ultrasound and resulting heat causes a two fazed response:
- Immediate fibre contraction, tightening and lifting. Collagen fibres are made of protein and when we heat protein it immediately contracts.
- This heating results in a typical wound injury response from our deeper cells by releasing growth factors. These in turn, start a process of collagen cell activation and multiplication. This results in extra fibre collagen growth as well as producing a healthier, younger and more supportive fluid interstitial matrix (DNA).
How long does it take?
Treatments can take between 30-60 minutes depending on the area.
When will I start to see results?
There are two distinctly different timings of the effect:
- Initially there is a heat contraction of the existing collagen network. This collagen network is made of tightly condensed strands of protein that immediately shrink when heated. This effect lasts for several months and is very apparent immediately.
- The secondary effect occurs when the new collagen that is stimulated comes to maturity and gradually develops its full strength over a period of six or more months.
What areas can be treated?
Skin tightening with ultrasound is best suited to tighten, tone and lift skin on the upper face, eyebrow, lower face, chin, full neck and full body.
How long will the results last?
Maximum collagen stimulation is seen between five and six months after treatment.
There is no additional new improvement after this. However the density and structure of the collagen is greater as a result of the new collagen stimulation. Therefore the condition of the skin is stronger than it was before the treatment and starting from a stronger base, there will be a slower ageing over the next 6 months or so.
How can I maintain my results?
It is recommended that 6 monthly treatments are done to maintain and get incremental improvement with each subsequent treatment. There are cumulative benefits that this has after treatment hence it is also strongly recommend to add SkinTight with Laser to your post Ultrasound treatment.
For optimal results we recommend having SkinTight with Laser every 2 months following the Ultrasound treatment.
Are there any side effects?
There may be slight redness for a short time following the treatment. Some patients report swelling, tingling or tenderness to touch, but these are mild and temporary.
There is the possibility for other less common side effects to occur and these would be explained to you during consultation.
Is there any downtime?
Apart from the common side effects, skin tightening with ultrasound is considered non-invasive enabling you to be able to return to your normal routine right away.
Does it hurt?
The degree of discomfort basically depends on the amount of heat. For us to be able to get the best results we must be able to utilise the maximum amount of heat energy that is possible and for patients to tolerate that well we provide strong analgesic. Light treatments at low energies do not yield the same results as more effective treatments with higher energy.
How much does it cost?
A formal quote requires individual assessment and will depend on treatment area. Full face and neck treatments start at $2500*.
How is it different to Thermage?
- Thermage uses Radio Frequency energy. Skin Tightening with Ultrasound uses ultrasound energy.
- The different types of energy do the same thing. The deep dermal heating created by both machines causes collagen protein fibre contraction and new collagen cell and fibre development. Skin Tightening with Ultrasound however can be tailored to be a shorter treatment involving smaller areas, especially the upper neck and the lower face. It is thus slightly more cost effective for people who only want to tighten this area of the face.
- Many people have reported they find Skin Tightening with Ultrasound more comfortable than Thermage, so it is an alternative for those who find Thermage a challenge.
For a free consultation with a skin tightening specialist, call 1300 88 99 35