Skin Repair: How Do You Treat Active Acne?September 1, 2015
Active acne is a common skin condition. Most people develop it during their teenage years. However, it may continue to be a significant problem even in your adulthood.
So what causes active acne and how can you fight this condition? You’ll find answers to these questions below.
What causes active acne?
Active acne is your skin’s response to the hormonal changes occurring in your body. The hormonal condition is driven by androgenic (male) hormones.
When internal sensitivity to such hormones meets the bacteria on the surface of your skin and fatty acids within oil glands, this is when you develop an acne problem. Acne most often appears in the form of lesions (such as small bumps, nodules and cysts).
The oil glands determine which areas are affected by acne. You will find acne most commonly on the face, chest, shoulders and back.
Although acne is usually associated with puberty, certain conditions might cause the problematic condition to appear past teenage years:
- Trying to squeeze acne lesions with your fingers
- Clothing and headgear
- Changes in hormone levels around the time of menses
- Using incorrect occlusive make up
- Incorrect skin care routine
- Possibly stress
How can I treat acne?
There are a few ways to treat active acne. The most effective proved to be prescription medicine. Secondly, cosmetic treatments in the form of ‘peels’ can be very effective in your fight against active acne.
There is also a plethora of home remedies to treat active acne but if you’re serious about getting rid of the problem, you should stick to the methods that bring real results.
- Medical prescriptions include four categories and to treat the problem you will probably need a combination of two agents.
- Benzoyl peroxide targets the bacteria on the surface of your face. You will find this agent in two forms: by prescription (Benoxyl, PanOxyl, Persagel) and over-the-counter (Clearasil or Stridex).
- Retinoids, which are vitamin A derivatives, engage with the earliest stage of acne lesions and take care of blackheads and whiteheads.
- Antibiotics, which can be applied to skin or administered orally, have the mission of controlling surface bacteria and reducing inflammation in the skin. They are best combined with benzoyl peroxide or retinoids.
- Hormone therapy is usually applied to women. It is based on administration of low-dose estrogen and progesterone or anti-androgen medications.
- Chemical peels are the fastest way to deal with your active acne problem. Not only do they clean the existing lesions off your skin but also prevent new pimples from forming. They are faster than antibiotics, hormonal therapies or other oral therapies and they come without the potential of systemic side effects.
- Triple acne combo facials combines Pastelle Laser, which is a quick and very effective method to freshen your complexion, with Blue Light Selective Therapy and a treatment peel to alleviate the symptoms of acne.
- Photo-therapy facials in the form of Blue Light Selective Phototherapy. This is another great non-invasive acne treatment. One of the reasons for acne are the bacteria on the surface of the skin and this treatment targets that bacteria directly.
What are chemical peels?
Chemical peels are liquid solutions with natural or synthetic ingredients, which penetrate deep into the skin layers as well as the hair follicle or acne pore. By doing that, the active ingredients cause the skin to peel, uncovering a layer of “new” skin. The newly revealed skin has a natural glow, improved texture and tone. Also, the acne lesions become less active.
The degree of improvement in treating active acne through chemical peel depends on the peel you choose, as different peels penetrate skin to different depths.
What kind of peels are available at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia?
At Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia, you will find 6 different types of Skin Peels, all of which are designed to target various skin conditions such as as pigmentation, acne and acne scarring, rosacea, sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, leaving your skin smooth and glowing.
The peels’ ingredients have natural origins that come from plants and milk. This means that no harsh chemicals or preservatives are applied to your skin and you don’t have to be afraid of irritation or other reactions.
The Skin Peels available include:
- Deep Sea Peel. This is a herbal non-acid peel, which penetrates your skin from the surface to a medium depth – this depends on the individual needs. The peel is great for treating fine line wrinkles, Photodamage, acne and mild acne scarring as well as poorly circulating skin and stretch marks.
- Pigment Punch. This peel uses alpha and beta hydroxyl acids that remove layers of dull and discoloured cells. The peel also has vitamin C and Tyrostat™, an organic herbal compound that has an amazing whitening effect on the skin.
- Blueberry Smoothie. As delicious as it sounds, this peel also does delicious things for your skin. It comes in the form of concentrated exfoliating superficial scrub and works by removing dead skin cells. It also reinforces your skin by boosting antioxidants right into it.
- Blueberry Jessner. This is our number one treatment for active acne. It dries active pustules, purges blackheads and closed comedones. But there’s more. The peel also takes care of fine lines and improves the look of mature, changing skin.
- Lactobotanical. This is the perfect peel for highly sensitive skin. This peel will help you uncover smooth skin with a new glow and complexion that has much fewer visible pores.
- A-Zyme Peel. This is a peel to re-texturise your skin. It exfoliates, reduces fine lines, eliminates brown spots and evens out pigmentation. Combining two active ingredients, Bromelain (derived from pineapple) and Retinol, assures that you’re not only going to unclog your pores but also hydrate and plump up your skin.
- Skin Fit range is our flagship range cosmaceuticals created by Dr. Garry Cussell after 20 years of medical experience. The range is designed to treat inflammatory skin conditions and its innovative, biomimetic formulae are mainly focused on stimulating healthy skin function.
- Aspect Dr is a range of specialist cosmetics in which acne management begins with determining the degree and type of acne and introducing corrective skincare. Aspect Dr’s main concern is reducing outbreaks, minimising and correcting scarring.
As you can see, at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia we have a wide range of skin peels, each suited for a specific skin condition. Although you can research every single of the peels online, there’s nothing better than the expertise of a qualified clinician.
If you’d like to treat your active acne or you’re looking to improve the glow of your skin, call our clinic at 1300 88 99 35 today and schedule your appointment with a one of our qualified clinicians.