How to Treat Hyperpigmentation?January 22, 2015
Skin care is something Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia are vigilant about and that’s from advising everyone to wear sun protection, a hat and a pair of sunnies.
However, I want to treat hyperpigmentation. It’s something I truly dislike and it’s something I want to focus on today.
So what is hyperpigmentation?
You may have heard called other things like sun spots, brown masks and ‘the mask of pregnancy. It’s a common skin problem in Australia, and when I asked the clinicians at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia how many they deal with on a regular basis, they lost count after 10.
It’s easy to get and for those who’ve recently returned to work from the beach holiday, only to find brown spots across their nose, forehead and cheek, it shows you how easy pigmentation is. Most pigmentations are caused by UV exposure. Not to get all science-y on you, but the UV stimulates the pigment cells called melancytes within our epidermis, which kicks starts melanin production. This is how suntans are formed, as well as hyperpigmentation. So people, another great reason to not go sunbake so often.
What skin tones will be affected by hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation knows no skin tone boundaries. In saying that, those with Asian, African or Mediterranean skin tones will be prone to it.
How many types of hyperpigmentation are there?
There are three types of hyperpigmentations, and I’ll happily categorise them for you:
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH): Have you ever had a skin injury like a burn or after picking a pimple where you get that red-browny scar that won’t go away? That’s not a scar, that’s PIH. This also occurs when you have needles or even professional skin care treatments which inflame the skin.
- Melasma: This is caused by hormones, especially during pregnancy or through taking birth control pills. It’s more stubborn than getting rid of that wine stain on your shirt and is difficult to treat.
- Lentigines: These are more well-known as ‘age spots’, these are mostly found on 90% of light-skinned individuals over the age of 60. However, they’re caused by UV rays, and not ageing alone.
Why should I care about hyperpigmentation?
I know I’m being such a know-it-all, but it’s because hyperpigmentation makes you look older than you really are, as it creates an uneven skin tone. I think this is more ageing than wrinkles and fine lines.
Looks like I’m not alone with this, a lot of skin care products are creating products which are targeted to skin discolouration – whether its ‘brightening’, ‘whitening’ or ‘dark spot corrector’. These aren’t bleaching products, but to exfoliate the skin by removing the layer of skin cells with brown spots which gives a more radiant complexion.
So what treatments at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia should I use to treat hyperpigmentation?
- SkinFit Anti-Pigmentation Kit: A tailored specific skin care for those with hyperpigmentation, it contains the Gentle Cleansing Milk, Melanofade pigment normalising serum, Hydro B3 Intense Hydration and Enzymatic Face Exfoliator to tackle hyperpigmentation head on. The kit costs $155 and one of our clinicians will be happy to talk you through what products suit you best.
- Pigment Punch Peel: This is great for people who have hyperpigmentation. This treatment is available at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia, and its exceptional as a pigment blocker as there are tons pigment fighting acids such as kojic acid which work to block the enzymes that are needed to make melanin. Good thing is, it doesn’t irritate the skin, but gives a wonderful glow afterwards.
- Pastelle Laser: Especially for those with melasma and general skin pigmentation like sun spots and freckles, the laser allows the pigment particles to shatter very effectively. The procedure differs from each person, but it usually lasts for 30 minutes. The other great thing is there’s no anaesthesia either.
For more information about treatment suited to your particular needs, swing by Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia sometime and one our clinicians will sort out your needs for you.